☑English language required
☑Japanese language required
Global Pharmaceutical Firm
Job Purpose & Key Responsibilities
- This role will be a key member of our legal team and will provide legal support to the business units and functions within our business.
- The role will provide exposure to a broad range of legal, strategic and commercial risk management issues affecting our business including in relation to commercial transactions, business operations, product portfolio and legal compliance matters.
- Acting as the primary point of contact for certain operational or strategic client groups within the company to ensure delivery and coordination of legal support
- Providing strategic guidance for designated business units including (as needed) pharmaceuticals and biologicals (vaccines) commercial operations, research & development activities and supply chain, and for the various supporting functions, aligned with legislative developments and our company policy requirements
- Developing integrated solutions to business issues, collaborating with various functions including Compliance, Finance, Medical, Human Resources, Procurement, Communications and Government Affairs
- Drafting, negotiating and reviewing significant commercial contracts aligned to business strategy and priorities
- Advising on issues arising from third party collaborations or relationships, product liability and dispute resolution matters.
- Advising on legal and compliance policy matters associated with business operations and initiatives.
- Active engagement with stakeholders both within and outside of Japan to ensure proper incorporation of our policy and Values requirements in local initiatives
- Proactive training of internal stakeholders on policies and regulations that impact business operations and developing guidance or principles as necessary to resolve recurring legal issues.
- Developing standard form terms and conditions, contract templates, contracting principles and processes for resolving legal issues affecting the GMS client groups
- Participation in Legal function teams, training and administrative activities.
- Managing external counsel and service providers within budgetary requirements
- Proactive engagement and coordinated alignment with Corporate and other specialist legal functions including Global Therapy Areas, IP teams, Global Data Privacy, Competition law, Business Development Transactions, Dispute Resolution and Prevention and Pharma Supply Chain.
- Sound commercial contract law and transactions experience (including contract drafting and negotiation).
- Good working knowledge and experience across a broad range of legal topics such as competition law, anti-bribery and corruption, intellectual property, employment laws and dispute resolution matters
- Strong legal skills combined with high integrity and sound commercial acumen. Must be able to deliver clear, pragmatic and solution-focused legal advice on a range of complex issues.
- Strong interpersonal skills, able to engage proactively, influence and collaborate effectively with Legal colleagues and business stakeholders across all levels of the organization, in a matrix environment, both within Japan and also with our overseas teams
- A self-starter with high learning agility and able to work in a fast- paced environment, managing numerous matters and competing priorities effectively.
- Willingness to undertake domestic and international travel as required
- 5+ years post-qualification experience gained from a major law firm and/or in-house legal function (or a combination of appropriate business and legal experience)
- Bengoshi license to practice law.
- Fluent in Japanese and English with excellent communication skills.
- Broad-based legal training from a large private practice law firm
- In-house legal experience gained in a regulated industry sector (pharmaceutical or healthcare preferred)
- Knowledge of pharmaceutical regulatory environment
- Overseas work experience and/or study qualifications
- Experience of working for a multi-national company
- Experience of working in cross-functional teams to deliver critical business projects (such as new product launches) or transactions
- Leadership of complex legal matters, such as litigation support, transactions or project advisory work
- Familiarity with anti-bribery and corruption and global risk management / compliance policy frameworks
- English Language level: Business level
- Japanese Language level: Fluent - Native Level (Equivalent to JLPT N1)
- Work permission in Japan required
10~15 million JPY
Full 2 holiday week system (Sat/Sun) national holidays
New year's holiday
Please click "apply" if you are interested in the job.
We will review your profile and contact you within five business days should we find that you satisfy the requirements of the hiring company.
Further details about the company and position will be notified at a later date.
Seniority Level: Mid-Senior level
Job Function: Legal