☑English language required
☑Japanese language required
☑Hybrid (On-site x Remote)
Associate Legal Director
Foreign life science company
Specific Responsibilities and Skills for the Position
Associate Director, Legal will be based in Tokyo office and will handle various legal and compliance related matters under the supervision of the Head of Legal. This position offers a unique opportunity for a junior to mid-level pharmaceutical lawyer to function as a core member of the legal department in a fast-paced international biotechnology company.
- draft, review, negotiate contracts and other legal documents
- perform due diligence on potential third-party vendors
- proactively detect legal issues, conduct legal research, and provide compliant solutions
- counsel internal customers on legal and compliance issues and provide support as business partner
- support fostering a culture of compliance and collegial teamwork;
- ensure appropriate and compliant interactions by the company with healthcare professionals, government officials and other third parties;
- develop and drive new initiatives and enforce the Company's compliance program;
- support the periodic updating of policies, procedures, training, monitoring and auditing in relation to promotional and non-promotional interactions with healthcare professionals and other third parties, to ensure they appropriately reflect legal, regulatory, and company-specific requirements;
- obtain information on the latest trends and developments of pharmaceutical regulations and provide compliance advice and training to employees;
- proactively participate in compliance related committees of industry organizations;
- and - where needed run investigations on non-compliance cases.
- Knowledge, Experience and Skills
- Demonstrate willingness and ability to work with and coordinate across a large number of individuals in various departments not only within our organization but also with the Company's headquarters in USA and other affiliates in Asia.
- Appropriately triage a heavy workflow, setting appropriate expectation/priorities with clients and advise the business based on sound judgment and within the compliance framework, within agreed timelines. Demonstrate ability to take necessary actions proactively, think creatively and devise solutions to challenging problems.
- Demonstrate ability to quickly acquire working knowledge of a subject matter, to work effectively across multiple disciplines and cultures, and to provide appropriate legal support to clients and business partners who work in resource-limited settings.
- Exercise mature and reliable judgment while enjoying the company's enthusiastic, informal and fast-paced environment.
- Written and spoken Japanese and English fluency.
- Bar admission in Japan or a common law jurisdiction.
- Law degree from a Japanese university and an internationally recognized university in a common law jurisdiction.
- 4+ years of relevant private practice and/or in-house experience including significant experience in compliance related matters and transactions in the biotechnology or pharmaceutical industry.
- Experience drafting and negotiating a wide range of legal documents.
- Demonstrated written and verbal communication skills.
- Strong personality and ability to make tough decisions in difficult situations.
- Experience in a compliance related function preferred.
- Experience working in a pharmaceutical company is a plus.
- English Language level: Fluent Level
- Japanese Language level: Fluent - Native Level (Equivalent to JLPT N1)
- Work permission in Japan required
15~19 million JPY
Full 2 holiday week system (Sat/Sun) national holidays
New year's holiday
Please click "apply" if you are interested in the job.
We will review your profile and contact you within five business days should we find that you satisfy the requirements of the hiring company.
Further details about the company and position will be notified at a later date.
Seniority Level: Mid-Senior level
Job Function: Legal