Note: Fluent ~ Native level Japanese required
Global Consumer healthcare company
- This role will provide legal counsel, strategic guidance and value-added support to all our businesses.
- Proficient at negotiation and drafting of various commercial contracts including significant supply, distribution, wholesaler, co-marketing, sales, product licensing, clinical trials, employment and non-disclosure agreements.
- Be able to proactively assess legal risks to the business and work with management to devise and implement policies and procedures to address and manage those risks including preventative actions, trainings and communications.
- Possess the communications and other skills in order to be able to positively influence internal clients to make well considered decisions and achieve compliant growth.
- Provide guidance on and ensure compliance with relevant laws and regulations applicable to our businesses including any relevant industry codes.
- Support new business development initiatives (M&A and licensing transactions and divestitures) including due diligence reviews, negotiation of transaction and drafting/execution of deal documentation.
- Manage all litigation, dispute resolution, and any internal and external investigations related to the business.
- Provide legal input and guidance to internal clients on all company policies and procedures including the Policy on Business Conduct, Foreign Corrupt Practices Act, Deferred Prosecution Agreement, Health Care Compliance and Health Care Business Integrity Guide. This includes advising internal clients on any new policies or required changes to existing policies, creating appropriate training for internal clients on such policies and participating on all disciplinary panels related to our policies and procedures.
- Provide legal counsel and support on legal issues and risk management for all enabling functions including Human Resources, Operations, Quality, Government Affairs, Research & Development, Supply Chain, Sales, Marketing and Finance (e.g., employment law, procurement, product liability).
- Proactively partner work with and share knowledge and best practices with other lawyers in Japan/the region/globally to drive local alignment with cluster, regional and global when providing legal services.
- Juris Doctorate, LLB or equivalent law degree from a good law school in Japan or other countries and a graduate degree from an internationally recognized university.
- License to practice law either in Japan or another jurisdiction.
- Fluent in written and spoken English and fluent in written and spoken Japanese at business level.
- At least 5-12 years of relevant legal experience since qualification - including a mix of law firm and in-house experience and preference will be given to candidates with in-house consumer experience.
- Experience working in multinational corporations outside Japan, ideally in a Western country for a multi-year period, and experience doing legal work in the consumer industries preferred.
- Broad-based commercial and corporate experience, ideally advising leaders of business units or functions.
Candidates should also possess the following skills and capabilities:
- Self starter with strong drive for results & strong sense of ownership but also willing to take direction.
- Business Oriented - ability to proactively engage with business to find practical solutions and partner with them to implement desired actions and create compliant growth for the business.
- Judgment capability, business consultative skills, and structural thinking process.
- Ability to work independently and effectively across all levels of a matrixed organization.
- Superior communication skills and proven ability to counsel senior management on complex legal matters.
- Ability to work effectively in an multi-national company and cross-border environment.
- Comfortable working as part of a team and keen to interact with diverse group of people spanning a broad range of business teams and executives within our client organizations.
- Objective thinker who is able to advance ideas and influence others.
- Ability to manage conflicts in an open and constructive manner.
- Able to set an example and ensure high ethical, legal and compliance standards and be proactive in engaging organization to identify opportunities to enhance ethics and anti-corruption practices and procedures.
- Strong ability to deal with ambiguity and simplify issues for clients.
- Experience doing transactional or cross-border licensing and acquisitions.
Full 2 holiday week system (Sat/Sun) national holidays
New year's holiday
Please click "apply" if you are interested in the job.
We will review your profile and contact you within five business days should we find that you satisfy the requirements of the hiring company.
Further details about the company and position will be notified at a later date.