Note: Applicants must have permission to work in Japan.
Renewable Energy Company
We are looking for a motivated and detail-oriented professional with experience in assessing Environmental & Social (E&S) risks of infrastructure projects and conducting Environmental and Social Impact Assessment (ESIA) studies for greenfield infrastructure projects and due diligence of brownfield projects. The candidate will require strong communication, interpersonal, and analytical skills to lead Environmental & Social (E&S) efforts across its portfolio of operational, construction and development assets across Asia.
The candidate will be based in Japan and expected to lead and coordinate the implementation of ESG Policy in both Japan and regionally including but not limited to early Environmental & Social (E&S) risk identification of greenfield opportunities, management of E&S Due Diligence (ESDD) of acquisition opportunities, and execution and management of E&S best practices throughout the life cycle of renewable energy projects.
Roles & Responsibilities
- Identify key E&S risks associated with project development opportunities against the requirements of IFC's Performance Standards, World Bank Group Environment, Health & Safety (WBG EHS) Guidelines and local regulatory requirements. Undertake E&S risk categorization;
- Support business development team in securing environmental permits and achieving ESIA deliverables as required for development projects;
- Lead the selection of E&S consultants for due diligence of acquisition opportunities (or lender diligence requirements) including the development of the scope of work and review of technical qualifications and proposals;
- Lead the execution of E&S corrective actions (either those self-developed or recommended from 3rd party consultants) including but not limited to conducting ESIAs and developing stakeholder engagement plans;
- Ensure the development of an E&S Management Plan (ESMP) for each project based on recommended corrective actions;
- Lead E&S monitoring of construction and operational projects ensuring compliance with the project's ESMP and the ESG policy;
- Act as main point of contact to manage all E&S related matters;
- Lead and facilitate engagement with stakeholders including workers, host communities and non-government organizations (NGOs) and coordinate responses to grievances for projects especially in Japan;
- Prepare internal E&S documentation and contribute to committee approval papers to inform and advise Sustainability Committee, Investment Committee and wider management on E&S related risks and recommend mitigation measures aligned with ESG policy
- Provide periodic updates to internal and external stakeholders (including
financial investors) on the status of E&S matters of projects as required;
- Contribute to the evaluation, improvement and dissemination of the ESG
- Actively network within the organization - lead, develop and administer as needed
technical assistance and E&S related training programs including E&S induction and ESMS
- Ensure that appropriate resources and capacity are deployed to effectively cover the ESG
- Graduate Degree in environmental engineering, environment and/or natural resource
management or social science, international development, and sustainable development,
or other relevant discipline;
- Minimum 10 years of relevant professional experience in E&S risk management of
infrastructure projects as well as proven experience in one or more areas of E&S risk
management, such as ESIA, Environmental Site Assessment, Compliance Audit, and
stakeholder/community engagement and consultation activities.
- Relevant work experience in Asia pacific markets (Experience in Japna a plus);
- Knowledge of IFC's Sustainability Framework, Performance Standards, and supporting
documents such as Guidance Notes and WBG EHS Guidelines.
- Results-oriented, team player, articulate analyst with attention to details, persuasive
communicator and good report writer.
- Ability to communicate and write effectively in English and Japanese (must be fluent level).
(Experiences and skills will be considered)
Please click "apply" if you are interested in the job.
We will review your profile and contact you within five business days should we find that you satisfy the requirements of the hiring company.
Further details about the company and position will be notified at a later date.