Note: Applicants must have permission to work in japan
Note: Fluent ~ Native level Japanese
Legal & Compliance Counsel
Global Vehicle Company
This is a rare opportunity for a seasoned legal professional already in-house, or in private practice with corporate and commercial experience, to take part in the shaping of a group company legal and compliance function headquartered in Japan. It requires a legal professional to use his/her knowledge and expertise as well as imagination and creativity in a broad and varied in-house legal and compliance scenarios, presenting a wide range of challenges. Person taking on this position must secure that the legal and compliance function is seen as a real partner to the business. He/She will gain exposure to practical challenges requiring both legal knowledge and commercial acumen in a multicultural environment. Successful candidate will join a team of legal professionals located in Japan and abroad having diverse background and experience, and will report directly to the SVP of Legal & Compliance.
- Counsel company management and leaders on legal risks associated with various alternative means for achieving business objectives.
- Develop legal strategy and plan in line with the business objectives, working closely with relevant function/division management and leaders.
- Advise operational and corporate functions in all areas of the law (commercial, competition, corporate, employment, IP, etc.).
- Provide legal services and manage wide variety of legal issues relating to the operations of the company, including corporate governance, commercial contracts (marketing, distribution, aftermarket and technical assistance), disputes, employment and environment.
- Manage disputes in coordination with functions and external counsels and interface with government/regulatory bodies as required.
- Monitor legal or regulatory changes in relevant jurisdictions and optimize legal security/compliance: report on legal incidents and litigations, compulsory standards, and develop new processes to secure operations.
- Coordinate with other legal counsels within the group companies and manage outside legal service providers as required.
- Implement group compliance policies and initiatives to raise employee awareness.
- Develop implementation plan and provide compliance trainings to employees of all levels.
- Contribute to building and developing our compliance framework and culture.
- Lead or support compliance investigations as required.
- Bengoshi or foreign qualified attorney.
- Minimum 5 years law firm practice or in-house experience in Japan.
- Excellent command of Japanese and English language, both written and spoken.
- Overseas working experience or experience working in an international organization.
- Solid technical legal knowledge/skills and strong business sense required.
- Distinctive analytical mind, problem-solving abilities, synthesizing and communication skills.
- Capable of setting clear goals and priorities to manage workload and multiple tasks.
- Ability to handle complex legal issues and develop solutions independently.
- A can-do mind-set with high drive and energy
- Strong personal credibility, integrity, adaptability and creativity.
- Ability to work with others in a multicultural Team/Office environment.
- Willingness and ability to travel (primarily in Japan) as needed.
Full 2 holiday week system (Sat/Sun) national holidays
New year's holiday
Please click "apply" if you are interested in the job.
We will review your profile and contact you within five business days should we find that you satisfy the requirements of the hiring company.
Further details about the company and position will be notified at a later date.