Global Energy Company
- The role works directly with the business teams in Japan and the broader APAC legal team to develop and execute business goals and objectives, including establishing and implementing business strategy.
- The role provides legal services on issues including complex commercial transactions, regulatory and licensing, compliance, investigations, trade controls, risk assessment, contract interpretation and dispute resolution. The role holder advises the business on the risks of possible business decisions and preventive legal counselling is a key part of the role.
- Provision of legal support to the business, including the provision of legal advice and the instruction of external legal providers. This includes the provision of day-to-day advice on transactions, documentation, precedents and marketing materials, negotiation of contracts with external parties, and providing advice on claims and disputes.
- Providing assistance in negotiating, reviewing and drafting international and domestic sales agreements for the supply of products and services, consortium agreements, EPC contracts, and other relevant agreements and guarantees; as well sourcing matters, licensing services, labor relations, subcontracting arrangements and other strategic alliances.
- Providing legal support and input to the business' and proactively improving or developing commercial processes, due diligence and legal productivity, simplicity and standardization including training.
- Providing advice and counsel on a wide range of regional legal and compliance issues to other members of the legal and compliance team and the business.
- Work in accordance with our high ethical standards consistent with the our Spirit & Letter, including driving a strong Compliance culture within the business, assisting with compliance strategy and training in Japan, escalating Compliance, Legislative or Regulatory issues and/or concerns through the appropriate channels and exhibiting leadership in driving Compliance across the business.
- Law degree
- Bengoshi/Japanese bar qualification: recognized overseas qualification in addition preferred.
- Fluent level Japanese and high business level English.
Experience and Skills
- At least 7 years' post qualification experience in law, ideally gained in a major law firm and/or large in-house environment
- Solid experience in commercial and general contract law, ideally in an energy, infrastructure or resources setting
- Excellent oral and written communication skills in both English and Japanese language
- Work without supervision and as part of a team
- Attention to detail
- Able to engage at all levels in a matrix environment
- Ability to influence
- Judgement and appropriate balance of risk management and commercial orientation
- Ability to work in an agile and cross-cultural environment and juggle international time zones
Full 2 holiday week system (Sat/Sun) national holidays
New year's holiday
Please click "apply" if you are interested in the job.
We will review your profile and contact you within five business days should we find that you satisfy the requirements of the hiring company.
Further details about the company and position will be notified at a later date.