Global Medical Device Company
The Legal and Compliance Manager - Japan provides legal and compliance support services to all departments and divisions. The individual selected will play a critical role in the administration of legal and compliance programs, policies and procedures. It has a reporting line to Director of Finance & Corporate Services, Japan, and dotted reporting line to the Chief Compliance Officer (CCO). This is a full time, salaried position with benefits and will work out of the Tokyo office.
Key responsibilities and duties:
- Draft, review, and maintain contracts including, but not limited to, employment contracts, independent contractor agreements, consultant agreements, real estate leases, supply agreements, distribution agreements, and purchase agreements, and so forth under the guidance and direction of general counsel, seeking outside legal advice when indicated and appropriate from local counsel.
- Supervise and manage engagements by us with outside legal counsel.
- Prepare and maintain legal department documents and corporate records, as needed.
- Conduct investigations (or oversee investigations performed by others) relative to us, with the guidance and direction of one or more of the following: General Counsel, CCO, Internal Audit.
- Manage internal rules and compliance program policies, including drafting, review, maintenance and training.
- Manage our compliance with our global anti-corruption program, including oversight and responsibility for third party due diligence, including management of timely and complete responses to third party due diligence by our business partners; performing due diligence screenings and collecting and analyzing any other relevant externally sourced data for due diligence; coordinate and track business partner training and certifications; manage and administer any software or web based programs used for the anti-corruption program.
- Manage our compliance with transparency reporting pursuant to professional organization guidelines, or other laws and regulations, as applicable.
- Work with finance, internal audit, sales and any other appropriate department to review and follow up on potentially improper expenses submitted in violation of compliance policies.
- Administration of the Global Privacy Program and, in particular, with compliance with data protection laws in Japan, such as coordination of privacy training, dissemination of privacy policies and assisting with data collection for privacy audits.
- Answer questions from the field (sales reps and other employees) regarding compliance policies.
- Support internal, external or compliance audit teams with data collection for compliance audits, as needed.
- Research regulations, statutes and treatises, as requested.
- Additional projects as requested or assigned.
Skills and specifications:
- Minimum of three years' experience in a law firm or corporate legal or compliance department in a multinational company;
- Preferred experience in the life sciences industry; compliance experience a plus;
- Preferred experience in contract administration, drafting, and management;
- Strong interpersonal skills including a positive attitude, maturity, honesty, reliability, judgment and creativity. Must work well with people via email, phone and in person.
- Team-oriented and able to interact effectively with and influence others.
- Preferred bilingual in English and Japanese. Must have advanced level of English skill
Must have ability to:
- Effectively present information and respond to questions from managers and customers;
- Write, analyze and interpret contracts, reports, manuals and other legal documents in English and Japanese
- Bachelor of Law degree or above.
- Deep knowledge and understanding of basic laws of Japan is required.
Full 2 holiday week system (Sat/Sun) national holidays
New year's holiday
Please click "apply" if you are interested in the job.
We will review your profile and contact you within five business days should we find that you satisfy the requirements of the hiring company.
Further details about the company and position will be notified at a later date.