Education related company
As we grow, our legal challenges become more frequent and more complex. All operations are affected, including finance, human resources, research, academics, intellectual property, compliance, communications and community services. Against this back, the General Counsel will manage a small but flexible internal team of strong expertise, networking with external experts with specific skills. The General Counsel will oversee and administer all legal aspects with a greater understanding of the academic culture and the expectation of an international faculty and will:
- Provide legal representation, advice, counsel, and opinions in all areas of law affecting the University, including: corporate, student, and faculty affairs; academic programs; promotion and tenure; ethics and research compliance; trademark licensing, intellectual property and technology transfer; international and domestic agreements; the University's participation in joint ventures with other universities; real estate; employment law; social and medical welfare programs; University policies and procedures
- Provide advice regarding all legal matters involving outside agencies or complainants
- Provide legal oversight of issues related to higher education; risk management; important legal documents, contracts and agreements
- Bring legal issues and concerns to the attention of senior administration and assists in developing related University policies
- Participate in discussions of institutional strategy and policy as a member of the University's Executive team
- Attend Board of Governors and Board of Councilors meetings
- Provide legal representation, advice, and opinions in monitoring and resolving disputes that may lead to litigation
- Arrange for and supervises outside attorneys who provide legal advice or representation
- Assist as needed with the University responses to external requests for information, reporting, complaints, or citations from external governmental or non-governmental organizations.
- Manage an internal team, General Counsel Office, to function effectively and efficiently.
- J.D. or equivalent law degree and a license to practice law in Japan
- Extensive experience in international and Japanese law
- Experience with corporate and commercial matters; finance including international procurement, asset management, and accounting; intellectual property, international tax; regulatory affairs International human resources law and litigation; labor/employee relations, employee health and safety; immigration law
- Internal audit, reports, and requests for information
- Fluent to Native level Japanese and Business-level English
- Experience working in an international setting and academic institution is desirable. (Preferred)
Relocation, housing and commuting allowances
Welfare pension insurance
Worker's accident compensation insurance
Full 2 holiday week system (Sat/Sun) national holidays
New year's holiday
Annual paid leave and summer holidays
Please click "apply" if you are interested in the job.
We will review your profile and contact you within five business days should we find that you satisfy the requirements of the hiring company.
Further details about the company and position will be notified at a later date.