Note: Applicants must have permission to work in Japan and Fluent ~ Native level Japanese
The Finance Controller for Japan will be responsible for overseeing accounting and finance activities, which will include (i) ensuring the integrity of the financial records, (ii) maintaining statutory and local reporting compliance requirements, (iii) maintaining SOX controls for Finance, and, (iv) assisting Global/Regional HR and Facilities team in local HR and Facilities requirements of the company. The Finance Controller a team of 2 accounting staff as well as external advisors to accomplish these tasks. The role will provide assurances to the local offices follow all local rules and regulations, seek guidance from local advisors regarding any issues or new regulations affecting the local office, look for opportunities to reduce or eliminate risks while ensuring all statutory filing deadlines are met on time.
RESPONSIBILITIES AND DUTIES
- Prepare or review financial reports. Ensure accuracy and timely submission or filing.
- Manage financial transactions including posting of transactions in the company's accounting systems.
- Maintain integrity within financial business system
- Maintain adequate accounting records
- Streamline accounting functions and operations whenever there are opportunities
- Identify or participate in cost saving initiatives
- Evaluate and manage risk; oversee and participate in audits
- Ensure compliance with all local, state and government regulatory requirements, and tax and other statutory filings
- Research tax rulings and technical accounting issues as it relates to Japan Finance.
- Communicate changes in tax, GAAP, and government regulation
- Monitor internal controls of Japan and support the development of global documentation of processes and accounting policies
- Provide information to 3rd party accounting providers for preparation of government reports. Review and approve the reports.
- Manage bank accounts and all other financial assets of the company
- Manage Accounts Payable and Payment processes
- Review sales invoices in Japanese and perform credit reviews of customers
- Provide cashflow forecasts for Japan
- Review and approve payroll
- Endorse HR compliance
- Assist Global HR and Global Facilities for local requirements related to HR and Facilities
- Bachelor's degree in Accounting or Finance required; MBA or CPA preferred.
- At least 5 years of experience, with 3 years' experience leading and managing people preferably in a global or technology setting
- Ability to partner with cross-geographical teams
- Must have strong English communication skills (both written and verbal)
- Proactive self-starter with the ability to excel in a fast-paced environment; proven experience as an independent team leader with clear ownership and accountability for delivering results
- Ability to lead, develop, mentor and grow professional staff
- Proven success collaborating with other departments locally, and with regional and global teams.
- Team player with ability to manage changing priorities
- Demonstrate a high level of professionalism in all activities
- Strategic thinker/understands the big picture/asks the right questions
- Strong leadership presence
- Experience with Salesforce and SAP applications preferred.
- Proficient in use of Microsoft office applications