※Applicants must have permission to work in Japan and required fluent ~ native level Japanese.
The job is a deputy Japan Compliance Officer role, responsible for all Compliance aspects of the Japan market regulatory requirements and expectations, and for protecting the organization from compliance risks, in a rapidly growing business with increasing complexity and scruteny from regulatory perspective.
The position reports directly to VP Japan Market Compliance Officer, in support of VP making key strategic, organizational and managerial decisions to effectively manage the Japan compliance risks and 2nd line functions in coordination with Japan business units as well as global and regional compliance partners and subject matter experts.
Decisions that relate to implementing complex regulatory requirements and best approaches to mitigating risk to the organization including but not limited to risks related to money laundering, corruption, data protection and consumer protection. Some of the critical challenges include the ability to instill a culture of compliance across a large organization, understanding the key regulatory requirements in them markets across multiple lines of business and ensuring that there are comprehensive strategies/controls in place to prevent regulatory failures and to address gaps. The position also has the challenge of ensuring transparent and positive relationships with regulators.
The position requires extensive knowledge of compliance processes as well as an ability to understand complex laws and regulations. In addition to the ability to effectively communicate complex requirements, a keen appreciation of the importance of compliance across multiple layers of employees and leadership of people in Singapore and Thailand will also be required.
- Strategizes/develops compliance programs, policies and procedures
- Drives compliance risk assessments against local regulatory requirements and expectations
- Manages compliance monitoring and testing activities in Japan
- Manages compliance-related training by benchmarking regulatory & external best practices
- Helps drive culture of compliance through effective communications
- Conducts 2nd line assessments and advises on regulatory matters and compliance gaps impacting the business
- Advises on the local AML, sanctions and anti-corruption activities
- Maintains relationships with and interfaces with local regulators
- Effectively reports to senior leaders on Compliance matters to ensure proper oversight
- Participates on local risk and senior management governance committees
- Engages on product developments and new regulation implementations
- Manages internal audit activities, regulatory exams and related reviews
- Organises, manages and motivates the team and addresses matrix issues
- Demonstrated leadership skills and ability to lead the team to identify and communicate to the respective businesses new or material changes in regulation and laws, which impact the business activities and affairs of the legal entities Japan.
- Regulatory experience with local authorities is essential - direct experiences in creating and managing regulatory communications, interactions and exam handling with Japan regulators and regulatory authorities.
- Senior business management relationship building is critical
- Compliance experience is essential - direct experiences in managing 2nd line functions in a large & complex multi-national financial institutions, with local retail operations, under local regulatory supervisions in Japan.
- Excellent communication skills in both Japanese and English
- Effective team management experience, with a proven leadership to implement changes in the team / organization
- Legal degree or external audit background preferred but not necessary
※Experiences and skills will be considered
Please click "apply" if you are interested in the job.
We will review your profile and contact you within five business days should we find that you satisfy the requirements of the hiring company.
Further details about the company and position will be notified at a later date.