- Applicants must have permission to work in Japan
- Applicants must be able to speak fluent ~ native level Japanese (Equivalent to JLPT N1)
☑Foreign business ☑English language required ☑Japanese language required
Associate Director, R&D Strategic Sourcing & Procurement, APAC
Global Pharmaceutical Company
Functional Area Description
Provide support and overall strategy from a Strategic Sourcing and procurement (SS&P) perspective related to the Functional Service Provider (FSP) model, focused within the APAC Region.
The Associate Director for the APAC region (Category Lead) will partner with Global/Regional Clinical Operations (GCO/RCO), Global Regulatory, Safety, & Biometric Sciences (GRSB), Regional Business Unit Leads, Finance, and Strategic Sourcing and Procurement (SS&P-R&D) to drive category strategies and evolution. This position will develop APAC-R&D sourcing strategies in partnership with the global category leads in SS&P-R&D, and will drive company strategy as it relates to Preferred Suppliers selection and compliance. This position will serve as the SS&P-R&D primary point of contact (e.g. face to the business units) for R&D stakeholders in the region. The lead will support negotiation and execution of global & local MSAs, buying channels and buying enablement for all spend related to clinical operations within the APAC region, including adjacent services, and will lead all supplier relationship management (SRM) efforts related to clinical operations and will provide support for other related Services within the region (e.g. Clinical Data Management, Pharmacovigilance).
- Serves as subject matter expert for drug development categories inclusive of functional service providers (FSP), contract research organizations (CRO), and other service providers related to clinical trial operations, drug development and pharmaceutical safety/regulatory needs in the APAC region. Supports of other R&D categories in the region as determined on a case-by-case basis in partnership with SS&P-R&D category leads.
- Collaborates with GCO/RCO leaders to understand their business and requirements. Aligns Procurement goals with R&D business objectives. Applies business analytics to end-to-end business processes & value chain, and translates into recommendations & category management action plans to drive best value for the Company.
- Facilitate Project Team decision making of contract award recommendations
- Develop and review MSA, Statements of Work, performance terms, Service Level Agreements (SLAs) in collaboration with global procurement leads.
- Partner with SS&P sourcing excellence to prepare and solicit competitive bids, quotations and proposals with relevant specifications/requirements, terms and conditions.
- Evaluate competitive bids to determine the best overall value
- Bachelors degree. MBA or advanced degree in Life Sciences preferred.
- 7+ years procurement experience preferred or Masters with a minimum 3-5 years experience.
Key Competency Requirements
- Pharmaceutical or Biotech experience. Extensive experience with Clinical Research, FSPs, CROs (sourcing or otherwise), Regulatory services/affairs, drug development, and an understanding of data management and pharmacovigilance.
- Demonstrated mastery of procurement processes including: category management negotiations, methodologies for measuring the value of procurement decisions (financial and qualitative), contract management, financial analysis, market analysis, supplier analysis, supplier diversity, and supplier relationship management. Focus on business partnering and strategy development beyond tactical purchasing.
- Expertise in internal stakeholder management, continuous improvement, and project management. Ability to effectively manage diverse stakeholders across multiple categories, departments, and subject matter projects simultaneously.
- Superior analytical skills. Proficient in excel. Strong team player. Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Superior/advanced oral and written English and Japanese language skills are required.
- Knowledge and proficiency with SAP and/or Ariba system
- Demonstrated strong problem-solving skills and ability to work cross-functionally as critical member of site team
- A proactive, creative and analytical approach to challenges.
- Demonstrated ability to partner with and manage internal stakeholders at all levels within a highly matrixed organization, working across cross-functional, cross-organizational teams.
- Demonstrated high degree of independence, requiring minimal supervision from senior management.
- Demonstrated ability to partner, manage and influence. Ability to demonstrate both empathy and assertiveness when communicating a need and/or defending a position/decision.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Excel, inclusive of pivot tables.
15~20 million JPY
(Experiences and skills will be considered)
Please click "apply" if you are interested in the job.
We will review your profile and contact you within five business days should we find that you satisfy the requirements of the hiring company.
Further details about the company and position will be notified at a later date.
Seniority Level: Mid-Senior level
Job Function: Purchasing